You might be asking yourself why you would look for Highland bagpipes at "Reelpipes.com," and the answer is simple: I have over 50 years' experience with Highland bagpipes, and for many years have been sourcing new and used Highland pipes for students, friends and bandmates. As well, I have personally played and owned many different sets, and have significant experience working with various types of pipes in teaching and band situations.
The good news in buying pipes is that there are many good choices in the marketplace, and the bad news for beginners or the less experienced is that it's hard to determine what might be right for you. I think that's where I can help.
I have established excellent relationships with some very good makers, and in particular can offer advice on acquiring one of the excellent sets made by top makers. Rellpipes.com carries sets by the following excellent makers:
• Duncan MacRae Bagpipes - Stuart Liddell's signature brand, made by McCallaum Bagpipes
• McCallum Bagpipes - Excellent products and service from a great company. Many models available in both African Blackwood and Acetyl.
• Dunbar Bagpipes - an excellent Canadian maker in the tradition of Peter Henderson. Many models available in both African Blackwood and plastic.
• R.G. Hardie Bagpipes - Gold Medallist Alastair Dunn, also P-Sgt. of Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band, is the general manager of this historic company. They make excellent bagpipes in blackwood and plastic.
• Strathmore Bagpipes - Six-time Clasp winner Murray Henderson has an outstanding line of bagpipes that he has designed. Every set is set-up and tested by Murray, and the prizes for his bagpipes and solo chanters are many.
• Peter Henderson Bagpipes - Gold Medallist Alastair Dunn, also P-Sgt. of Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band, is the general manager of this historic company. They make excellent bagpipes in blackwood, and many sets are played in FMM. The Henderson solo chanter is also excellent.
Not what you want? I'm still happy to offer advice and point you in the direction you need to get the pipes you want.
There are a thousand places to buy bagpipes, and a hundred kinds to buy, but only here will you get my undivided attention to what you want. We work with bagpipe makers to help you get the bagpipe you desire—we don't stock every model of bagpipes, and we like to work with you to determine your needs, and get you on the right track for getting the pipes you want.